Nicholas Roerich Estate Museum in Izvara
Nicholas Roerich
Estate Museum

in Izvara

N. Roerich «Ancient Finnish Churches»
Original in Russian

Page: 9 from 12

First  |  Previous  |  Next



The church in Lohja is the most complete in this respect. In 1886 the mural paintings there and in Hattula were rather successfully revealed from underneath the plaster, whereupon a quarter of a century levelled off certain garishness of restored colours. This church has been known since 1290 when Lohja was one of the largest parishes in Finland. The church building is a large extended "vessel" with two vestibules. The high fronton is decorated with a white cross, protecting the building, its sides – with symbols of the two natures of Our Lord. Next to the church there is a belfry, the lower part of which is built of boulders, the top part being wooden. One might assume that the general construction of the belfry was completed in the 16th century. The church's murals date back to 1489-1500, which is an intermediate period for Finnish churches. There are some indications that the church was painted by an artist, unknown to us, from amidst the nuns living in the monastery in Naantal, close to Abo. Some of the murals have much in common with the paintings in Breviarium Upsalense, made in 1496. Amongst the other evidence as to the dating, one of the angels wields a coat of arms which belonged to Arvin Kurk, the last catholic bishop, who died in 1523. Part of the murals was certainly damaged by enlargements to windows and doors, and part is covered by the organ which was placed above the central entrance.




Next Page

Back  
Home


Museum Address: 188414, Izvara Village, Volosovo District, Leningrad Region, Russia.
Phones: +7-813-73-73-273 (group tours); Phone/Fax +7-813-73-73-298 (general)
Museum Director: Cherkasova Olga Anatolievna
E-mail: isvara_museum@mail.ru